Aug. 30, 2005
IRS Grants Tax Relief for Hurricane Katrina Victims
The information in this release has been updated.
Please see News Release IR-2005-112, issued Sept. 28.
WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today announced special relief for taxpayers in the Presidential Disaster Areas struck by Hurricane Katrina.
These taxpayers generally will have until Oct. 31, 2005, to file tax returns and submit tax payments. The IRS will abate interest and any late filing or late payment penalties that would otherwise apply. This relief includes the Sept. 15 due date for estimated taxes and for calendar-year corporate returns with automatic extensions.
“People affected by Hurricane Katrina have more than enough concerns –– taxes shouldn’t be among them,” said IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson. “We hope the relief we are providing will help taxpayers in their financial recovery from this devastating storm.”
The disaster areas designated for individual relief include:
• 31 Louisiana parishes: Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Pointe Coupee, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana;
• 15 Mississippi counties: Amite, Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Lamar, Marion, Pearl River, Perry, Pike, Stone, Walthall, and Wilkinson; and
• Three Alabama counties: Baldwin, Mobile and Washington.
Among the tax relief details are the following:
• The Federal Tax Deposit (FTD) Penalty Waiver Period for employment and excise tax deposits is Aug. 29-Sept. 23, 2005.
• The Extension Period for returns and other tax payments is Aug. 29 – Oct. 31, 2005.
• The Disaster Designation for this area is “Hurricane Katrina” — taxpayers mark certain relief-related forms with this designation in red.
Previous | Next
2005 IRS News Releases | News Releases Main | Home